Saturday 2 May 2009

National costumes

Yesterday, I was visiting The Silesian Festivities (Śląskie Gody) in the Silesian Heritage Park (part of the Silesian Culture and Recreation Park). The Silesian Heritage Park presents a folk art from the whole Silesian Province, so not only from my region, but also from mountains and from Zaglembie -- I am not an expert at folk art, but I am sure that the men's costumes (above) are correct for my region, so I think the women's costumes are also from 'here'.



PS.
I've used 'national costumes' proposed by dictionary. But maybe better is folk dress or traditional garment, because the costumes are strictly regional -- their come from Upper Silesia. Even in the Silesian Province we have different costumes -- in mountain area, and in Zaglembie. In whole Poland there are many regional folk dresses.

9 comments:

  1. No ładnie, zabawa na całego:) Ale jaki piękny drewniany kościółek tam również dostrzegam! Bardzo interesujący!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice way to tie together the past and the present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Mamy dwa kościółki drewniane w mieście -- ten, św. Józefa (mieli odpust wczoraj :) ) i drugi, św. Wawrzyńca.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful tradition. I love the little girls in the pretty costumes, looking so serious. You have given us a great series of pictures to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Folk costumes here are so alike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those folk dresses look very traditional and very Polish. I bet a lot of people in Chicago would recognize them.

    My wife (Julie of Scottsdale, Arizona Daily Photo) bought a piece of Polish folk art in Michigan for her mother. It is an intricately cut paper cut out of 5 hens, with a different colored paper showing through behind the paper that was cut out. Apparently a Polish lady who teaches this folk art to children to try to preserve the skill. I don't know if you are familiar with that type of folk art, but the art gallery owner said that it was a Polish tradition. My wife's mother has a lot of art of chickens in her kitchen, so it fits in nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave:
    I know this paper cut (with hens, also :) ). Yes, many Poles lives in Chicago and cultivate polish tradition.
    Does people in Chicago recognize them? Maybe :) I think for them 'polish costumes' are mainly folk dresses from mountain, Kraków and Mazovia (Łowicz), not from Silesia. But I don't know how important are the differences for foreigners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting to see the Polish folk costumes. Nice foto. I have a Swedish folk costume made in the town in northern Sweden from which my ancestors departed for America. I'm new to CDP; I started EAGAN daily photo. Regards from Minnesota, USA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Upper Silesia? My mother had to flee from Oppeln(Opole) in 1945! so explan to me how Polish nashnel dress has enthing to do with Upper Silesia!, Return Upper Silesia to Germany.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin