The part of the Town Hall with the town coat of arms: on the left the yellow Upper Silesian Eagle on the blue background, on the right side double cross refers to the Order of the Holy Sepulchre (Chorzów, as a village was given* by Władysław, duke of Opole, to the Order of the Holy Sepulchre, in 1257.) --- *) There are many uncertainties: it was village in this time, or it was only a place for village, or the village was destroyed by Mongols (called in Poland 'Tatars').
Chorzów[ˈxɔʐuf] is a city in Silesia (coordinates: 50°18′N 18°57′E), southern Poland with around 114,680 (2006) inhabitants and an area of 33.5 km². Chorzów is situated on the Rawa river on the Silesian Highland in the heart of the Upper Silesian Industrial Area, 7 km north-west of Katowice. Chorzów is in the middle of Upper Silesian Metropolitan Union, the largest legally-recognized urban entity in Poland with a population of 2.2 mln. The population of the urban area in the conurbation around Chorzów is about 3.5 million. (From Wikipedia.)